Oak Mountain

Hi,

Planning on riding Oak Mtn, this Friday, May 2nd.  I have never been and was interested to see what the best route would be! Would love to do the EPIC route or something similar.  Thanks.

Brent
Signup or to reply
Hey Brent... Depending on distance you want to ride, you could do a loop starting at South Trail Head... Basic loop starting at lake trail ending with quarry and johnson is about 18 miles.  I like to start at Toads (next to south trail head), and do family, rattlesnake to lake and then cross road to to seven bridges which will take you by the pump track and then on to North Trail head.  After you climb red road, there are some technical options... Boulder Ridge (very technical with boulders) to the right (ends at beginning of west ridge) and West Ridge (technical but not as technical) on down a bit to the left. Or... you can continue on the red road (fire road) to bump connector.  West Ridge comes out to bump connector which takes you to blood rock (quarry) left or jeckyll and hyde - right.  Jeckyll and Hyde begins with 1st half being technical rocks and 2nd half is flowy and fast.  This trail will come out at Toads, which will take you back to parking lot.  If you take quarry, you can then do johnson to foreplay and toads.  Lots of options and you can get in about 25-29 miles with all the trails.

Those trails I mentioned make up the loop with some options... If you like fast... When you get to Garret's Gulch on the boy scout road, you could try out the flow trail, lightening.  Let me know if you have questions!  Hope this helps!

Map... http://bump.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2012omsp_map.jpg - red trails are mountain bike...
Have Fun!
Tina
Signup or to reply
Thanks so much, Tina.  I'm going to study the map and try to put together a ~30mi ride using your recommendations.  Definitely would love to hit it all, maybe even doing some of the fun stuff twice. 

Thanks again and I'm really looking forward to it. 

Brent
Signup or to reply
Tina, Thanks again for the suggestions. I did: Seven bridges Garretts Gulch Fire Road to Lightning(SWEET!), back to fire road and whole Gulch Rock Garden Chimneys Cat Dog Snake Jeep Road climb Boulder Ridge West Bump Blood Johnson Foreplay Mr Toads Jekyll/Hyde about 1/2 way up and back down to car. 23.9 and it was great. I was told to ride in Anniston next time! Thanks again. Brent
Signup or to reply
Hey Brent!  That is so awesome that you had a good time!  Coldwater is so much fun!  You can park on the Anniston (Monsanto Road) side to be sure to finish with the 3 1/2 miles of fast downhill.  You can get in about 20 miles there... And after the ride, would recommend Cheaha Brewery for food and beer.  
Signup or to reply
Copyrights © 2015