Michigan Riders - Coming Again in February

All,

Just wanted to post a quick note that the "Michigan" riders are once again coming down over Valentines Day.  We have reserved 4 cabins at Oak Mountain and are looking forward to riding the trails again.

Was curious, we are thinking about riding Coldwater Mountain in Anniston, AL but want to get some local feedback.  Any other suggestions.  I see that Tannehill has some new trails slotted, but didn't know how far along they are.

Any assistance would be appreciate. 

Thanks,

Tom

Signup or to reply

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRmVB2zXPvJr33iu_j6PpZg?feature=results_main

Great to see you guys coming back! I will give you my opinion but for full disclosure I helped design/project manage Tannehill for BUMP. I will try to be objective and we will see what type of responses we get. The distances of the trail systems are similar at around 11 miles.From looking at the photo I see allot of hard tails and rigid forks. I am not sure that there is a full suspension bike in the group. I have ridden both Coldwater and Tannehill but both form the saddle of a Stumpy FSR 29r. The reviews I have seen form folks that have ridden Coldwater on hard tails were not good. It is a fantastic trail, just maybe not well suited for bikes without suspension. If you goal is to ride something unlike you have ever seen before, Coldwater is your best bet.

Tannehill on the other hand has gotten good reviews form fast singlespeeders on hard tails. There is lots of good flow and plenty of opportunity for speed. There is one 1.5 mile of technical trail with the rest being pretty fast and flowey and FUN!

A quick Youtube search will get you to plenty of video of Coldwater. The link above is a Tannehill local that has taken a few videos out there. They are not as easy to find through a search so I just posted the link to his stuff. The good news is, you are going to get some great riding in somewhere! You can't go wrong.Let us know what you decide and what you thought.

Josh

Signup or to reply

Here's a link to my vimeo channel. Lot's of stuff on there in cluding coldwater. Tannehill is on my list of future video.

http://vimeo.com/user8572478

It ain`t a sport if it can`t kill you
Signup or to reply

Great video's...what do you use for editing, if I can ask...

Signup or to reply

Josh...appreciate the feedback and advice...will look for other to chime in...how new are the trails at Tannehill...we stayed there last year, but didn't really find the trails...also, how much different is Coldwater than Oak Mountain...most of us are putting front suspention forks on since it was a little rough with rigids...thx again...other weigh in too...tom

Signup or to reply

I use pinnacle. Coldwater has fewer roots but has about 30 rollers/jumps. Bring some squish........

It ain`t a sport if it can`t kill you
Signup or to reply

When you were here last year we probably only had about two miles of singletrack on the ground. We built another two miles during the month of Febuery. Then in August we contracted out 7 miles to Progressive Trail Design from Arkansas to construct 7 more miles and it was completed this past October. So Tannehill went from not much trail to around 11 miles pretty quick. PTD also built the trail sections at Oak Mountain we call "Lightning" and the "Jekyl"l portion of "Jekyll & Hyde." In the Tannehill map above, PTD constructed most of the stuff in the middle labled "Mountain bike Trail Loops."

In my opinion, there is really nothing at Oak Mountain that is similar to Coldwater Mountain. I am not saying better or worse, just nothing similar enough to make a fair comparison.

Signup or to reply

I love Oak Mountain, but Coldwater is very unique.  I ride a hard tail with front suspension and can do everything at Oak Mountain (except Boulder Ridge) and Coldwater Mountain.  Coldwater has a 3 mile climb, but the downhill is worth it.  You wont be able to quit smiling!

Formerly known as NateKona
Signup or to reply

I don't have that much experience riding yet, but if your coming down, Coldwater isn't something to miss.  As Nate said, the climb is pretty long, but it's an amazing downhill ride afterwards!  Definitly not someting to miss!

Signup or to reply

Great map....appreciate all the feedback...well it figures, this year we are staying at Oak Mountain in the cabins...we'll have to decide is we go to Coldwater or Tannehill, don't think we'll do both...a couple of more months...can't wait...tom

Signup or to reply
How long are you guys going to be here?
Signup or to reply

Definately don't miss the Tannehill trails while here. They get more fun every time I ride them. Haven't had the chance to ride coldwater yet, but understand its a fun ride. 

The technical stuff at Tannehill is good as well, enjoy it every time I ride it. Hope to be able to meet everyone. 

Signup or to reply

Ride all 3 if you can. 3 very different trails. 

Responding to one comment: Full-suspension is not necessary to enjoy Coldwater. I've ridden it very, very aggressively on a hardtail, and I know that several of the fastest times on the DH were set by hardtail guys. Some suspension is nice, but full-squish is definitely not a prerequisite. In fact, it might be the smoothest of all 3 of the trails, mile for mile. It just has potential for big air, if you want it. If you don't, it's very easy to check your speed and keep the bike on the ground.  It's not a pure flow trail with mandatory airs or drops.  In my opinion, the 3-mile Bomb Dog DH at Coldwater is one of the top 3 most fun segments of trail I've ridden anywhere. That somewhat balances out the fact that Anniston is a solid 1-hr drive from Birmingham, and you only get an 11-mile loop. Tannehill, by contrast, is much closer to Oak Mt., and offers lots of fun with less driving. So if you have to choose 1 of the 2, it's a tough call. 

Signup or to reply

...we are driving down on the Thursday, the 14th and driving back on the Monday, the 18th....so we have Friday Saturday and Sunday...general concensus so far is to do Coldwater one day...

Signup or to reply
...out plans are to arrive Thursday night...looks like ur getting a little rain...what will be the trail conditions...thx...
Signup or to reply
There might be a little mud in spots but everything should be fine. You might run into a downed tree or two.
I`m here where are you?
Signup or to reply
All,

Once again, appreciate all the time and energy that you invested in the trails!  Good to meet Monty on the trail!

We just returned from Alabama and it was a great trip…there were 20 of us with one coming up from Florida to ride the trails at both Oak Mountain and Coldwater Mountain…we did a night right Thursday night , rode Friday and Sunday at Oak Mtn with a trip on Saturday to Coldwater Mtn…it was perfect staying at Oak Mtn, it allowed for a lot of flexibility for the group as we could ride at different paces and come back and refuel whenever…we discussed going over to Tannehill, but the consensus was to stick to the plan for this year…it’s my understanding that there are new trails at Tannehill so it will come into play when we discuss next year’s plans…thoughts?…tom 
Signup or to reply
Copyrights © 2015