Coldwater- Cheaha - OMSP comparison

A few friends and I are planning a trip to coldwater and cheaha in Sept.  Most of our expierence is at OMSP. My friends are beginner to intermediate level.  What difficulty levels are CW and Cheaha?  What are comparative trails at OMSP?

AND is Cheaha even worth it? (I've heard it's a bit rough).

Signup or to reply

If your friends can ride OMSP, they can ride Coldwater.  I took a newbie coworker who had absolutely no business out there - he walked a significant portion of the climb and took the downhill slow and still had a good time.  For experienced riders, Coldwater is extremely fun with an initial climb followed by a long and fast downhill with great curves and the ability to catch air if desired (I stay on the ground).  I've only been on Cheaha once when I moved to Bama back in 2009.  The trail is kind of rough and not always well marked.  Unless some improvements have been made to the trail since then, I would likely loop around Coldwater again.  The hiking at Cheaha is great however!

Signup or to reply

Cheaha might be a little tough for a beginner, but if your patient, it will still be alot of fun.  Make sure you take some spare tubes with you when you go to Cheaha as well.

If it hurts, chances are, you had a blast!
Signup or to reply

If you like some technical and rocks with climbing then you will like Cheaha. But be aware you will probably get a flat. Bring spare tubes and a patch kit. I would also recommend a couple of dollar bills or single serving Goo packages in case you rip your side wall like I did in the race this year. Did 4 miles on a rim.

Signup or to reply

Skip Cheaha & go to Lake Howard in Sylacauga. 

Signup or to reply

C'mon... that is really apples and oranges.     Cheaha is super fun for different reasons, and Lake Howard is also super fun - for different reasons.  each trail is COMPLETELY different.

my answer to the first question posed on this thread:  go ride every trail you can in your local area, and then go ride elsewhere.  the only way to become a more proficient rider is to go ride other places.  try anything once - it may or may not be for you, but you'll have an opportunity to maybe learn new skills, or not.

there is no better or more exciting feeling (to me) than "sight reading" a trail for the first time.  the music analogy is quite good here - you only get 1 shot to ride a line the first time.  

Signup or to reply

I agree with Mike. I would also add that you need to ride with people with more experience than you and to always ask question. Every trail is different and everyone rides different. try to learn something from everyone you ride with on every trail.

Signup or to reply
Copyrights © 2015