Swayback/Coosa

Hey y'all, I was just checking to see if there was any interest in getting a group together for a combined mountain bike/kayak trip down in Wetumpka on the Swayback trail system followed by kayaking down the Coosa River with minor rapids up to Class II/III depending on flow.  There is an outfitter that rents/shuttles kayaks with reservations.  I was thinking about Aug. 25 or 26 with mountain biking in the morning and floating/beer in the afternoon.  I paddled the Coosa a couple weeks ago and it is suitable for beginners--never been on Swayback before.  Post up if there is any interest!

Signup or to reply

Sounds interesting.... I'll have check some schedules....

It ain`t a sport if it can`t kill you
Signup or to reply

I'm down in Montgomery and we be interested in joining you if you put something together.  You can choose between two outfitters, Coosa River Adventures and the Coosa Outdoor Center.

Signup or to reply

I might be able to act as local guide along with you Will.  Personally, I'd reccomend Coosa River Adventures, simply because they have been long time supporters of TOLA and the Coosa River Challenge(http://www.coosariverchallenge.com/index.htm)

Trail map here; http://www.trailoflegends.org/pages/maps.htm

Signup or to reply

Thanks for the map!  Weather permitting, I'll arrive at Swayback around 930 next saturday (8/25).  I'll bring my own kayak and get it shuttled.  I also posted on a Birmingham hiking meetup group to try and nab a few more people.

Signup or to reply

Have you had any more interest from your posts on other sites?

Signup or to reply

No, but the weather looks great this weekend so I'll probably go no matter what.

Signup or to reply

What outfitter are you going to use?

It ain`t a sport if it can`t kill you
Signup or to reply

It looks like there isn't much interest on the Birmingham side.  I think I'll switch to sunday morning (8/26) instead of saturday as I'm meeting some people for some Good People beer at Daves saturday afternoon.  I'm bringing my own kayak and have used Coosa Outdoor Center in the past ($7 shuttle vs $12 shuttle at the other outfitter).  If you want to go, let me know!  The locals recommend the other outfitter due to mountain bike club support and I would be open to that as well if we are meeting a group down there.

Signup or to reply

I'm riding at Swayback tomorrow morning around 9-930 am.  I'll be in a tan Subaru with a kayak on top.  Feel free to join up!

Signup or to reply

I had a nice ride at Swayback this morning--lots of fast flowing singletrack with not too much climbing.  The Zipper section was lots of fun!  Following the ride, I kayaked down the Coosa and made a couple runs through Moccasin Gap.  Nice weather today!

Signup or to reply
Copyrights © 2015